Saturday, June 23, 2012

Galaxy Stores Local Tournament - Week 8

Yar har har, hellooo mateys. o3o

One of the regulars was unable to play this week, so we almost ended up in a bind where we wouldn't have had a tournament. But people showed up at the last minute... we'd appreciate it if they actually woke up! That being said, I went in with Granblue this week.


Round 1 - Basskirk Granblue vs. Kiriel Angel Feather

Remember, kids, test the decks you play with ahead of time!

1. Max on the Pegasi, both of them.
2. Include Calamity Flame, at least in some number.
3. For the love of god, don't use Sunny Smile Angel as your first Vanguard!
4. Play Happy Bells... you might go minus, but you're able to make bigger pushes.

That being said, he walked the plank. o3o

Round 2 - Basskirk Granblue vs. Vermillion Narukami

Generic match, really. Saishin applied minor pressure to me, the Grade 3 Djinn sucked nuts, and I only ever got screwed out of a game by not getting a Grade 3 myself. He also walked the plank. o3o

Round 3 - Basskirk Granblue vs. Gancelot Royal Paladins

Hello, younger nephew. I'm used to this by now. The pressure was off since we'd both be going to the semifinals either way, but I decided that this had to be a learning experience for him. Not sure what he actually took away from our match, though. I topped Cocytus at 4 damage (though sadly, 3 face-down) to swing for game.

Semifinals - Basskirk Granblue vs. Vermillion Narukami

Grudge match! Again, I suffered from gradescrew, and in the final game I had to cope with riding a Skull Dragon. It came down to the wire - I had 3 total cards and my Vanguard to work with, and I was staring down what I figured to be around 40K worth of shields. My heals were all but gone, so... I pieced together a field of Captain Nightmist + Deadly Nightmare/Lone Basskirk/Lone Deadly Spirit to retaliate. Spirit went for an intercept, Basskirk went for the Vanguard. Drive check 1 - Stand Trigger! Stand to Deadly Spirit and power to Nightmist. Drive check 2 - Draw Trigger! Power to Nightmist. Deadly Spirit took out the other interceptor, and Nightmist swung in with just enough power to win the game. This is the second time something of this nature has happened between us, actually. xD

Finals - Basskirk Granblue vs. Gancelot Royal Paladin

Good on him for getting this far. All pressure was off. I don't know what it is about me, but he tends to screw up left and right when we play each other. A victory could have been feasible on his end by calling Grade 3s and dismissing old rear-guards, but he let his hand be clogged and his field be weak. Again? Only game I lost was on account of misgrading. And it was at grade 0 that time... lol.


I pulled Ezel, he got an SP Vortex Dragon. We traded for an Iseult, a Soul Saver, and a Battle Cupid to further deck completion for our group. All in all an amazing day - I've never gotten a prize that good!


Grade 0 (17)

1 Captain Nightkid
4 Doctor Rouge
4 Rough Seas Banshee
2 Knight Spirit
2 Hades Steersman
4 Hook-wielding Zombie

Grade 1 (15)

4 Samurai Spirit
4 Deadly Nightmare
4 Gust Jinn
3 Dancing Cutlass

Grade 2 (10)

4 Ruin Shade
3 Deadly Spirit
2 Stormride, Ghost Ship
1 Captain Nightmist (he puts in a lot of work in the English format!)

Grade 3 (8)

4 King of Demonic Seas, Basskirk
2 Ice Prison Necromancer, Cocytus
1 Dragon Undead, Skull Dragon
1 Necromancer of the Abyss, Negromarl

4 comments:

  1. How well did you find 1 Captain Nightmist to be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't even going to play it until tourney time came and I didn't have the last Deadly Spirit, but he was saving my ass and expanding my options all day. Just gonna keep it in now. xP

      Delete